“The Medical and Dental Preparatory Association, herewith known as the M.D.P.A., is a professional interest organization whose purpose is to provide information and assistance to those students seeking to gain admission to graduate, medical, dental and allied health programs.”
The Medical and Dental Preparatory Association is a pre-professional organization established in 1983 to assist pre-medical and pre-dental students in reaching their professional goals. As the oldest, most established organization of its type on campus, MDPA has close working relationships with key figures in the medical and dental school admittance process and can help answer these and many other important questions. We also strive to cultivate a community that cares by serving where the need is the greatest and fighting to reduce socioeconomic disparities in health through MDPA-created volunteer events and service projects. We are a student-led organization that acts as a bridge for students who desire to make a difference in the medical field and in our community.
- Hear and meet guest speakers that include physicians of various specialties, medical school admission committee members, and other health professionals
- Connect with professors, physicians, medical school admission committee members, medical students and other pre-medical students at health-related events like the Suture Clinic, Health Panels, HPAC Luncheon, TCOM Coffee Chat, Medical School May Tour (Tour 5 Texas Medical schools), UT Southwestern Medical School Tour, TCOM Tour, and more!
- Gain meaningful experiences with undeserved populations and populations unlike the applicant through MDPA-created and student-led volunteer events and service projects like our community Health Fair and Homeless Outreach!
- Gain exposure to socioeconomic disparities in health
- Leadership opportunities (Officer positions, co-chair positions, and Events Committee)
- Scholarships for top 3 most active members (1. Free Kaplan course 2. $200 scholarship 3. $100 scholarship)
- Sponsorship discounts
- Resources for shadowing, extracurriculars, MCAT prep, non-traditional students, interviews, metrics, personal statement, and all application services (AMCAS, TMDSAS, and AACOMAs)
- Free food